Thanks for reading.

This blog is dead. Thanks for reading. Find me at www.brockradke.com.

1.21.2009

los tacos.

Anytime I've ever walked into a little restaurant and I was the whitest guy in there, the food has always been good. Always.

There is no shortage of taco shops along East Charleston Boulevard, and many of them are too scary looking for me to try. But I will return to Los Tacos, a taco shop that clearly used to be something else, but I'm not sure what. What it is now is a friendly little restaurant with delicious food, including a selection of lean meats from which to choose from when piecing together tacos, burritos, tortas, quesadillas or tostadas.

Actually, the tostadas are strictly seafood, either shrimp or a ceviche of oyster, shrimp and octopus. Looked interesting, but I stuck to basics on my first visit: two tacos of carne asada with a side of rice and beans. The large tacos, two soft, fresh, corn tortillas to each of them, start with melted white cheese and whole pinto beans, topped with your meat and two large stripes of smooth avocado and a pulpy pico de gallo. I don't know if tacos in this style are traditional from a certain area or what, but one of them would have been plenty. The steak was tender and juicy, if underseasoned, but the other toppings made up for that. The beans and rice were simple and great, perfectly cooked.

I probably should have got a combo plate, your choice of meat with rice, beans and tortillas. More meat options are carnitas (yes), chorizo, the beef head scrapin's dubbed "cabeza," tongue, al pastor (marinated pork), chicken or a ham and cheese setup. The menu is simple like a great taco shop should be. Sometimes the risk (of eating in a strange health department hazardish joint) brings a great reward.

No comments:

Post a Comment