Thanks for reading.

This blog is dead. Thanks for reading. Find me at www.brockradke.com.

10.19.2009

parma pastavino and deli.

I know it's hard to believe, but I fucked up.

In June I wrote a review for Las Vegas Weekly on Mezzo Bistro in northwest Vegas. I've had dinner at this fine Italian restaurant several times since it opened in the spring of 2008, and I have known chef Marc Sgrizzi for years. That's the problem; familiarity can lead to laziness. This review goes into great detail about the chef and his daily specials, and by the time it was published, the chef was gone. He apparently sold the restaurant and was no longer involved with it for at least a month before I visited. Since the food and service at Mezzo remained of high quality and I was happy to write it that way, my mistake was more of a disservice to the former chef. When I discovered Sgrizzi had moved on quite quickly to open another Italian bistro and deli, I felt it necessary to give Parma a shot. Besides, this guy's food is good, so there's really no reason not to try it.

Located on Buffalo Drive just off Summerlin Parkway, this neighborhood cafe turned out to be the perfect neighborhood spot for a quiet dinner or a casual group meal. Small tables round the perimeter of the restaurant while a wine-and-snack-friendly lounge is the centerpiece. Display cases housing beautiful homemade desserts and imported meats and cheeses available by the pound rest in front of the active kitchen, where the chef and his crew are making their own pasta every day. Sgrizzi has retained his signature dishes, like the amazingly crispy, non-breaded eggplant parmesan and spinach lasagna in a tasty pink basil sauce. The carbonara is a faithful rendition of the classic dish, and like I raved about in my misguided Mezzo review, the specials here also change often and focus on fresh seafood or steak. The prices are just right, including a range of affordable wines.

This is the third Vegas restaurant for Sgrizzi and I have followed him to each one because his food is reliably good. Parma feels like the chef is in his zone, moreso than the other venues, and that's nice to see.


No comments:

Post a Comment